Thursday, May 26, 2011

Add this to your To Do list.

In what situations are you content? No really, think about it for a minute.

Some might say they find contentment on the beach, with their spouse, at the spa, or simply just not at work. Others might say they are content when they are hanging out with family, spending time with friends, or all alone. Yet still, others would say they will be content when they retire, when they have children, when they get married, or when a pain in life subsides.

But it's easy to be content in those situations. Wouldn't you agree? But wouldn't it be great if you could find contentment in even the most miserable of circumstances? Your husband just lost his job, your mother just found out she has breast cancer, your debt is consuming your life, your job sucks, your back hurts, your car makes awful screeching noises, your co-workers are annoying the crap out of you, or you're having a bad hair day.

Mark it on your To Do list: find contentment.

Contentment. I'm not sure what it means or how to get it. I've been trying to wrap my mind around the concept of biblical contentment for many months now. Every now and then God will reveal a little bit of wisdom on this subject to me. It's as if He is slowly pulling back the curtains to a stage. I think He's revealed about one centimeter by now. I have found that the more knowledge I gain, the more I realize I know nothing.


One thing I have learned is where not to look for contentment. The world. The only place to find this precious gift is in scripture and through prayer. So that is what I will do. I will pray and read, and wait for the Lord to bless me with more wisdom on contentment. I will wait until He feels I am ready for a little more insight. My conclusion thus far? Contentment is found through pursuit of the Lord.

But now I will leave you with words much better said than any words of mine. I hope this brings you encouragement, as it did me.


"Behold, God is my salvation; I will trust and will not be afraid; for the Lord God is my strength and my song, and he has become my salvation. With joy you will draw water from the wells of salvation. And you will say in that day: "Give thanks to the Lord, call upon his name, make known his deeds among the peoples, proclaim that his name is exalted. Sing praises to the Lord, for he has done gloriously; let this be made known in all the earth."
- Isaiah 12:2-5 (NIV)

"You keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on you, because he trusts in you. Trust in the Lord forever, for the Lord God is an everlasting rock."
- Isaiah 26:3-4 (NIV)

"Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand; do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things."
- Philippians 4:4-8 (ESV)

"I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do all this through him who gives me strength."
- Philippians 4:11-13 (NIV)

1 comment:

  1. This is a great post! Contentment takes much more work than I realized when I was young. You are right, there is only one way to find it -- seeking the peace of God! Good luck in your pursuit. With time, you will learn to find contentment and let it fill your life.

    ReplyDelete