Monday, April 18, 2011

starting fresh.

Simple pleasures seem to be a theme in my life. Everyday I find them in the smallest of things.  Have you ever seen the movie Amelie?  Well, if you have, you know that the main character (Amelie) finds pleasure in the smallest things!  Cracking creme brulee with a teaspoon, skipping stones at the nearest canal, and dipping her hand into a sack of grain at the market.  Years ago when I watched that movie, I realized that I do it too.  I find joy in simple pleasures.  I have used these small moments of pleasure throughout each day to remind me to express my deep thanks to my perfect Creator.  I could probably list hundreds of examples of these little bundles of joy, but I do not want to give them all away at once!  So for now I will start with one of my favorite things.


Coffee.
I love everything about coffee.  The smell, the taste, the way it feels to hold a fresh cup in my cold hands, the sound it makes when it's brewing- not to mention the caffeine boost.  I especially love waking up to it.  There isn't a better simple pleasure than waking up to the aroma of freshly brewed coffee.  Now I might contradict that statement in another blog, but I will try not to :)  

I feel as though you are either a coffee lover, or a coffee hater.  I don't know many people who are mediocre coffee drinkers.  But I am a coffee lover.  It creates an atmosphere of community and relaxation.  When I look around my house when my whole family is together, everyone has a cup of steamin joe by their side.  And when this busy world wakes up in the morning, what do you think is a-brewin in their kitchen?  And when you curl up on a cold and snowy day, is it with a glass of ice water? No! You've got a big cup of coffee to keep you warm.  

I realize that not everyone loves coffee as much as me, so don't take my words as truth.  But I do know one thing: coffee is a wonderful simple pleasure sent straight from the man upstairs.  It makes me feel warm, content, and joyful.  Who knew one little mug could fit so much? 

No comments:

Post a Comment